Creating A Truly Good Morning
This year I am changing my morning routine. Actually, I should not even use the word “routine” because I resist doing anything the same way twice. I have been known to say, “I hate routines and schedules.”
Well, I have decided to grow up just a little more this year. It is time to acknowledge, reluctantly, that all the books about morning routines are a good idea. If you Google “Best Morning Routines” you’ll get over ten million results. I have read a few books on this topic, but one of the best is The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life - Before 8AM Written by: Hal Elrod. I think in order to do what I say I want, I needed to make some changes and have a plan.
So, here is my plan:
• Wake up by 6:00 AM or maybe earlier if so inclined.
I am giving myself a range so I don’t rebel.
• Read a chosen meditation book.
I am now reading Seven Thousand Ways to Listen: Staying Close to What Is Sacred by Mark Nepo. So, I turn on my Victor Reader Stream and listen to it, in bed, in the dark. This makes for an easy transition. This book has a meditation and journal questions.
• Think about the journal questions and then write for a while.
I open the Pages app on my phone and dictate everything. There is no need for this writing to be beautiful because it is only for me. I set a password on the document. I simply add my input to the same document every day. At the end of the year, I will be able to easily read the entire document.
• Check e-mail inbox and delete what I don’t want to act on, and save what I will respond to later. This is a quick process and it gets my Inbox ready for more work later in the day.
• Check Facebook, Twitter, and various news apps. I may send a Tweet about an article or post on Facebook. I also engage with people interested in BlindAlive at this time.
• Stretch in bed and then get up.
• I have my coffee and a green smoothy most mornings, and lots of water.
• Exercise begins at 9:00 AM. This is non-negotiable. Everything up to now has been fluid. I choose my workout according to how I feel or what workout BlindAlive is creating at the time. I exercise for one hour.
• Between 10:00 and 11:00 AM I meditate in silence, shower, and make my lists for the day.
• I begin the bulk of my BlindAlive work for the day by 11:00AM.
This is the plan I can live with for now. Of course, I left out every single little detail but that would be too much information.
This may sound leisurely for some of you and rigorous for others. There is no correct way to create your perfect morning. What is important is that you create a morning that moves you toward your goals in a way that you can sustain.
I am curious to hear about your morning. You can reach me at email@example.com, or if you are a Facebook fan, connect with BlindAlive there by commenting on our Facebook page, or join our BlindAlive Community on Facebook. You can also follow us on Twitter.
I hope all your mornings this year are peaceful and productive, that is, if that is what you want. Big smile.
Good health to you,
Creator of Blind Alive, LLC