Questions about Audio Playback
Q: Do I need any special equipment to play the audio files?
A: No. The downloadable files are in MP3, which is a format playable by nearly any playback device on the market, as well as on your computer. The CD's are playable in any CD or CD-ROM drive.
Q: Can I play the workouts on my iOS device?
A: Please note that to initially download any of the workouts you purchase, you will need a standard computer. Apple has designed iOS to not allow files to be downloaded from a web browser as there is no access to a file system like on a desktop computer. Once you have the workout, you can either import the files into iTunes, or transfer them using the app of your choice and play them on your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad,.
We provide walk-throughs for doing this using two different apps. If you have Voice Dream Reader, this process is a bit more straightforward. However, it can also be done with the VLC Mobile app, which is free.
Here are the steps you will need to take.
- If you don’t already have one of the apps installed, you will need to visit the App Store, either on your computer or on your device, and download the app of your choice. This walkthrough assumes that you are using Dropbox, but you can use Google Drive or other supported cloud-sharing apps. If you plan to use Dropbox, you will need to download and log into the app on your device as well.
- Make sure the workout or workouts you have purchased are in Dropbox, in a folder that is known to you. If you are using Voice Dream Reader, this file can either be a plain .mp3 file, or a zipped mp3. For VLC Mobile, it must be a plain mp3 file.
Next, if you are using Voice Dream Reader, take the following steps:
- Double tap Settings, which is near the lower right hand corner of the screen. Then find the Content Sources option, and double tap that as well.
- Locate Dropbox and double tap. Then, log in with your username and password. This is a one-time process.
- When back at the main screen, double tap Add, and choose Dropbox by double tapping that option.
- If you are in a folder and you need to get into the correct folder to find your workout, double tap the back button. This will place you in the folder list. When you are in the folder list, double tap the folder where your workout is located.
- Next to each file is a Download button. Double tap this to download the workout and import it into Voice Dream Reader.
- To start, Find and double tap the option that says, “Open VLC Sidebar Menu.” You may not find this by flicking from one item to the next, but may have to slide your finger around the top of the screen to find it.
- Once in this menu, choose Cloud Services and then Dropbox.
- Then, choose the folder, and double tap on the file name to start the download.
- You may or may not have to open the sidebar menu again at this point. Once you have located the All Files button, double tap it, and you should see your workout in the app.
Q: How do I put the MP3 files on my player?
A: If you are using a portable book reader like the Victor Stream, BookSense, or other similar devices, commercial MP3 Players, notetakers, or Android tablets or phones, you can copy the files to your device in the same way you would copy any other files.
Q: Can I play the files on my NLS player?
A: Yes. The workouts will play on both the basic and advanced models. You can copy them to a cartridge or a USB drive. If using a USB drive, you will remove the small cover and plug it into the small receptacle on the right side of your player. If you
would like to order a thumb drive that has been preloaded with the workouts you prefer, please contact us to place an order.
Please Note: Be sure to save a copy of the audio on your computer or a backup drive for safe keeping.
Questions about Exercise and Workouts
Q: I'm not in very good shape. Will I be able to do these exercises?
A: Yes. The exercise routines are designed for people at various levels of fitness. If you are not able to do all the repetitions, or you do not feel that you can keep up -- whatever you do -- just keep moving! Simply do what you can, with as much intensity as you can, and soon enough, you'll have trouble remembering that you had any difficulties at all. Please check with your doctor before starting any exercise program.
Q: I'm in pretty good physical shape. Will the exercise routine be hard enough for me?
A: Absolutely. The Level One workouts are designed with beginners in mind, but more advanced users have benefited from them as well. If you consider yourself to have achieved intermediate or advanced fitness, the Level Two and Bootcamp workouts are for you. Whatever your level, if you do not feel you are getting enough of a workout, feel free to adapt the routines by increasing your intensity. Lift your arms and legs higher, and use hand weights or add heavier weights.
Q: I have other disabilities in addition to blindness. Can I do the exercises?
A: Yes. The key is not that you do all exercises, but that you work to your potential. You know your own limits and abilities, and it is important to keep those in mind while exercising safely.
Q: I'm not sure how to do the exercises. Can you help?
A: We have detailed audio descriptions of each of the exercises that you will have access to with your purchse.
Q: I'm having trouble getting my arms and legs to work together to follow the routines. What can I do?
A: This is a very common problem, so take heart! Try learning the parts of the exercises that involve your legs first. These are usually larger movements, and are easier to learn, and you will get some benefit from just working your lower body. Once you are comfortable with this, try adding your arms. You can also try going through the routines with just your arms. Above all, be patient with yourself. Using both your arms and legs will give you a fuller cardio workout, and in some cases, will help you balance as you work through the exercises.
Q: How long is each routine?
A: In general, most are around 30 minutes. Sculpting with Weights Volume 2 is a little longer at about 40 minutes.
Q: I don't have weights. Is there any way I can do the Sculpting with Weights workouts?
A: You might want to get some hand weights, but until you do, you have a few options. If you have not used weights before, try doing the motions without them. Once you are familiar with the exercises, try holding a can of food or a bottle of water in each hand. You will want to use items of equal weight. Using items commonly found around the house will give you an idea of how much weight you can use. For example, if you have a full water bottle in each hand, and each bottle holds sixteen ounces or one pound, and that seems far too light, then you would likely want to start with weights that weigh two or three pounds each. Sometimes, you can find sets of hand weights in a range of sizes at your local discount store.